Sunday 17 May 2020

Finishing off my cleanups

Sleep Paralysis and You

In the last weeks leading up to submission, I've been focussing on getting my scenes finished, not perfect and have been keeping a list of things to correct/tweak before we submit to festivals.


The zoom out section of the fire reveal scene was surprisingly cumbersome - I worked out from After Effects that the canvas would have to be 9 times the normal 1080p size for it to zoom without loss of quality, so I worked on a canvas this size in TVPaint and made four frames with increasing line thickness, which took a while because of the lag of working on such a big canvas. When I took it into After Effects to test out the zoom, it broke both AE and Media Encoder when trying to render it. I eventually got around the problem by cropping the canvas to the size of the character and parenting this to the background in AE. I probably overcomplicated this scene for 4 frames but it looks good and provides the leniency to alter the timing of the zoom in AE.


Scene 20 - Fire Reveal (zoom test)

I sent over the source alpha movs to Prathik to composite with this fire effects and tweak the timings as needed.

Scene 22  - Caught Red Footed

The Caught Red Footed scene is finally done and I'm satisfied with how it turned out - I think the hair is following through nicely and I managed to get in some squash and stretch of the legs, plus I like the timing of the stomp movement. There might be a frame or two where the hands are a bit big but the overall movement works well.

24 Profile Walk

The overall movement works well for the Profile Walk scene too, though it could potentially use a little squash and stretch on the legs. Also I wasn't sure about the hair line that goes down the middle of her face and whether it should be in contact with her shoulder - I ran it past Prathik who said it should be touching the shoulder but because the hair is moving a lot in this scene I would need to spend extra time on it to get it right, so we decided to leave it as it is for now and I'll go back in and correct this before festival submission. Prathik did the crack animation for this scene.



Scene 25 - Cracking Front

I managed to add the hair boil to Kilo for the Cracking Front scene (which is also used in the Caught Red Footed scene) and he looks more alive now. I feel like the cracks could be better though so I'm adding this to the list of things to correct before festival submission.



Scene 26 - Cracking Profile

I feel like the hands look a lot better in this scene than what they originally were in the roughs. I also added more tweens to the arm and hair movement to make it smoother and it works well. The hand movement is intended to be constantly slow for the creepiness, but I might go in after submission to add some subtle easing to the last two frames.



Scene 31 - Kiss Cut

I added lineart to the foreground stretcher and grass, and ended up changing the colour palette for the green of the mask so that it's darker and matches the background better. Following the final crit feedback, the white flash has been made much shorter so that the transition is a lot more sudden.



Scene 32 - Zoom of realisation

I added props (the oxygen tank and the ECG machine) to this scene and colour picked Halli's background to make three belts go over Kilo here. The original dimensions of this scene is double of 1080p to allow for the zoom out from his face. I like how this scene turned out and I think the slow eye closing movement tweens well. The only thing I could improve might be some subtle head movement up and down with the breaths, but the shoulder and hair movement already translates that well enough. We also made the decision a while back to take artistic licensing and make Kilo alone in this scene when in reality, he would be covered in paramedics.

Prathik finished off his scenes before me and offered to take over my Scene 5 Getting In Bed scene, which I gratefully accepted. He added in an 'I told you so' referring to the beginning of the year when he warned me I was taking on too many scenes (though in my defence a lot of them were simple before they evolved into complex scenes). I felt a little bad that I had to ask for help but I'm glad I was able to recognise it beforehand and ask, and retrospectively I might've been able to finish that scene myself but I think it would've been at the cost of quality. At the end of the day, 12 out of 13 finished scenes is not bad.

What worked well:
  • Adding hair movement to Kilo in the static scenes for signs of life
  • Adding more tweens to Penny's hair movement and arm movement in the Cracking Profile scene for smoother movement
  • Overall movement in the completed scenes work well
  • Changing the colour palette of the rebreather mask
  • Shortening the white flash transition
  • Adding the medical props to the final scene
  • Prathik slightly altered the colour palette of the cracks so it wasn't pure white anymore, so I updated my scenes with cracks accordingly and I agree it looks better

What to fix before festival submission:
  • Kilo's hair is a little off model in scenes 18 to 20 (Fire Reveal)
  • The middle hair line in Scene 24 (Profile Walk)
  • The cracks in Scene 25 (Cracking Front) - needs more easing and the linework redone
  • Changing the lineart style for the stretcher and grass in Scene 31 to match the background lineart style
  • Subtle easing in hand movement in Scene 26 (Cracking Profile)
  • The eye shine needs to encroach on the eye whites in the end scenes with Kilo outside (Scenes 31 and 32)
  • All the scenes will be shaded for festival submission too

I passed on alpha mov versions of my completed scenes over to Prathik for him to composite with the backgrounds and effects animation.


Heart of Stone

I had one scene to clean up for the Medusa project which Prathik roughed out. I colour picked one of Halli's backgrounds and found a similar lineart brush for the foreground fox statue (Halli didn't have a background for this scene at the time) but was open to changing the statue out to whatever Halli might want in its place.




Scene 17 - Toes out for Medusa

My role for this project is now complete for final submission, but I'll be helping out with cleanups after submission (as it won't be finished in time due to pandemic related issues) so we can collectively submit a finished animation for festivals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sleep Paralysis and You - Final Version

This is the final version of Sleep Paralysis and You after Prathik has composited in all our parts. It's been a long few months an...